What is a CPD Cycle?
A CPD cycle will run for 24 months. The present CPD cycle started on 1 July 2020, and it will be concluded on 30 June 2022.
Failure to comply with the CPD requirements may result in penalty fines being imposed, but this can only take effect when the Legal Profession Act 1976 has been amended. Presently, non-compliance with the CPD requirements will not affect the renewal of Sijil Annual/Practising Certificate.
What are the Approved CPD Activities?
The CPD activities are viewed as learning opportunities that suit your professional goals, and are verifiable by documentation. Please refer to the current CPD Guidelines for guidance on what may and may not qualify as a CPD activity.
How Many CPD Points That Should be Obtained?
In each CPD cycle, lawyers are required to obtain at least 16 CPD points. A maximum of 5 extra CPD points can be transferred to the next CPD cycle, if they have meet the minimum requirement.
Pupils in Chambers
In the 9-month pupillage, pupils in chambers are required to obtain at least 8 CPD points. A maximum of 5 extra CPD points can be transferred to the CPD cycle when they have become a Member, if they have meet the minimum requirement. Depending on the date of admission to the Malaysian Bar, they will have to obtain the remaining CPD points based on a prorated basis.
How to Claim CPD Points for CPD Activities Organised by External Organisations?
Please complete the CPD Record Sheet to claim your CPD points for participating in CPD activities organised by external organisations only that are not Bar Council or State Bar Committees.
What is the Attendance Policy?
The attendance policy mandates that the CPD points assigned to a CPD activity will not be awarded if you:
- arrive more than 15 minutes late;
- are not present throughout the CPD activity; or
- leave before its scheduled end.
Lawyers and pupils in chambers are strongly encouraged to comply with the attendance policy. If you would like to submit an appeal for lateness, please send it to the CPD Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the current CPD Guidelines, you are eligible to apply for exemption from the CPD Scheme if you have fulfilled any of the criteria below:
- Aged 75 years old and above with at least 10 years of legal practice;
- Suffer from serious health conditions; or
- Have at least 30 years of legal practice.
CPD Resolutions and Related Circulars
CPD Resolutions Adopted at the Annual General Meeting
- 75th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (Saturday, 13 Mar 2021)
- 72nd Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (Saturday, 17 Mar 2018)
- 70th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (Saturday, 19 Mar 2016)
- 66th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (Saturday, 10 Mar 2012)
- How To Conduct A CPD Roundtable [Circular No 355/2021]
- Mandatory CPD Scheme | Important Updates to Members of the Bar [Circular No 260/2021]
- CPD Initiatives: Advancement. Enhancement. Improvement. [Circular No 092/2021]
- CPD Live | Integrating Online Learning Beyond the Pandemic [Circular No 091/2021]
- Mandatory CPD Scheme | Important Updates to Members of the Bar [Circular No 175/2020]
- Report #3 on Continuing Professional Development | CPD Participation [Circular No 073/2018]
- Report #2 on Continuing Professional Development | CPD Camps [Circular No 068/2018]
- Report #1 on Continuing Professional Development | CPD Training Events [Circular No 56/2018]
- Download the Updated Malaysian Bar Mobile App Today! [Circular No 70/2018]
- Report on Continuing Professional Development (Part 4) | Summary of Data [Circular No 052/2017]
- Report on Continuing Professional Development (Part 3) | Participation of Members in the CPD Scheme [Circular No 028/2017]
- Report on Continuing Professional Development (Part 2) | CPD Camps [Circular No 006/2017]
- Report on Continuing Professional Development (Part 1) | CPD Training Events [Circular No 004/2017]
- Implementation of the CPD Scheme (1 July 2016 – 30 June 2018) [Circular No 150/2016]
- Frequently-Asked-Questions on the Proposed Mandatory CPD Scheme [Circular No 048/2016]
- Official Launch of Continuing Professional Development Online Training Platform [Circular No 172/2014]
- Moving Forward on the Continuing Professional Development Scheme [Circular No 075/2014]
- Launch of Continuing Professional Development Online Training Platform [Circular No 054/2014]
- Update on the Submission of the Continuing Professional Development Record Sheet [Circular No 215/2013]
- The Launch of the Continuing Professional Development Website [Circular No 085/2013]
- Interview: The Implementation of the Continuing Professional Development Scheme in Malaysia [Circular No 068/2013]
- Update on Continuing Professional Development (“CPD”) Scheme [Circular No 054/2013]
- Continuing Professional Development Cycle to Begin on 1 July 2012 [Circular No 134/2012]