You are required to attend all the sessions below in order to complete the Advocacy Training Course:
Date: 1 & 2 Oct 2022 (Saturday & Sunday)
Time: 8:45 to 5:30 pm (Saturday) | 10:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Sunday)
The Bar Council Advocacy Training Committee has organised Advocacy Training Courses (“ATCs”) throughout Malaysia for Members and pupils in chambers, with the primary objective of improving the standards of advocacy and producing better advocates. ATC aims to teach advocacy skills to lawyers in their first to third years of practice, in order to effectively identify and rectify basic mistakes in advocacy, and to offer guidance to new practitioners on the correct way to present themselves and their arguments in a courtroom.
ATC utilises a specific method of advocacy teaching that is deployed in Commonwealth jurisdictions, which requires participants to perform as advocates in a simulated courtroom setting under the guidance of experienced and trained practitioners who will observe their performance and offer personalised guidance.
In the last two years, ATCs have been conducted online due to the pandemic. The Advocacy Training Committee has now decided to resume on-site courses in courtrooms throughout Malaysia as face-to-face interaction is an important component of the teaching method. To this end, the approval and permission of the Right Honourable Chief Justice of Malaysia was sought and obtained to resume the use of the courtrooms in Malaysia for this purpose.
The Advocacy Training Committee is delighted to announce that the rest of the courses for 2022 will be conducted in the courtrooms at various States as scheduled, including Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Johore.
- Places are limited and registration is on a first come, first served basis. Members are encouraged to register their names nonetheless, as it is intended that ATC will be organised regularly for the benefit of Members.
- Registration will close on 15 Sept 2022 (Thursday).
- Should you have any enquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants may elect to perform the roles assigned to them for this course in either Bahasa Malaysia or in English.
- All course materials will be sent by email. No printed notes will be provided.
- Participants are not permitted to record the course via any means, except for their own performances for trainers’ reviews. • No part of this course, including the video review and feedback by the trainers, may be reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council Advocacy Training Committee and its trainers.