Session by Datuk Ismail Bin Yahya
1. What is the purpose of the marriage?
2. What is Child Marriage?
3. Section 8 of Islamic Family Law (Federal Territory) Act, 1984 [Act 303] provides that;
4. According to Shafei school of thought, child marriage is totally invalid if :
5. The principle of trust (for wali/gurdian) is to safeguard the welfare of its trustees (children). Therefore, in certain circumstances the guardian’s actions that may be detrimental to the trustee’s child are prohibited, such as the guardian of the property of his child’s trust is considered invalid. In this regard, the position is the same as the issue of marriage of a child of her guardianship, as children are not prepared from the spiritual and physical aspects and do not require marriage as the Qur’an emphasizes.
6. The marriage of the Prophet SolalLahu alaihi wa Sallam and A’ishah which had said at that time A’ishah was nine years old, is the special right for the Prophet, AND cannot be the right argument that the hukum Syarak allows child marriage.
Session by Farhan Haziq Bin Mohamed
1. Discussion on reasons & impact
Session by Lilianne Fan
1. Child Marriage Across Borders by Lilianne Fan, International Director, Geutannyoe Foundation
2. ‘Screaming in Silence’ by Parastoo Theatre
3. Discussion https://www.muslimworldtoday.org/a_story_of_despair_but_also_hope_from_an_afghan_refugee_theatre_group
Datuk Ismail bin Yahya had a very illustrious career in the government from 1980 first as Religious Officer State of Terengganu, later, as Chief Syariah Judge State of Terengganu. Also as secondment as the State Mufti of Terengganu. He was appointed back as Chief Syariah Judge State of Terengganu. He retired in 2014 from the government service. He was appointed as Syariah Committee of MCIS-Zurich Insurance from November 2007 until 2010. Appointed as an external examiner for Ph.D. thesis, Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Law, International Islamic University Malaysia, 2008. Presented paper work on the ‘Cases and Issues of Islamic Administration of Estates and Will in Malaysia’ held by Centre Research and Training, Kuala Lumpur. Wrote an article on the ‘The Implementation of Wasiah in Courts: Theory And Practice’ published in the  1 Syariah Law Reports, Malayan Law Journal. Appointed as an Editorial Advisory Board of Syariah Law Reports, Malayan Law Journal from 2004.
Farhan Haziq Bin Mohamed Practicing in Fahri & Co. Syarie Lawyer in Federal Territories and in legal field of General, Criminal and Syariah litigation. He is very active in all fields related to law. He is very good debator, worked in many corporate firms, banks and has organized and worked in many organizations. He was awarded the Dean List Award in Faculty of Law in UiTM. He worked as an Intern in Asian African Legal Consultative Organization (AALCO) New Delhi and performed legal research on international law relating to humanitarian law and terrorism His achievements and involvement in organisation such as political and numerous NGOs speak volumes for his experience.He was elected as Political Edication Director of DAPSY Subang, as Executive Committee of DAP Bandar Utama and he won National Malay Mooting organised by Malaysian Bar & DBP.Published few articles in local newspaper and has been part of organising group for youth camps and volunteered in many youth and educational programmes.
Lilianne Fan is International Director and Co-Founder of Geutanyoe Foundation, a regional humanitarian organization based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Aceh, Indonesia, and Deputy Chair of the Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (APRRN). She is a cultural anthropologist and humanitarian professional with more than 16 years of experience working with refugees, internally displaced persons, and communities affected by conflict and disaster, including in Aceh, Myanmar, Haiti and with Syrian refugees in Jordan, and currently specializes on the situation of stateless Rohingya in Rakhine State and in ASEAN. She provides regular expertise to a range of institutions and governments including the UN, the World Bank, ASEAN, the Government of Malaysia and the Government of Indonesia. Between 2005 and 2012 Lilianne served in several large-scale post-crisis recovery missions, including with the UN-led humanitarian response in post-earthquake Haiti; as Advisor to the ASEAN Special Envoy on Post-Nargis Recovery in Myanmar; as member of the advisory team of the Governor of Aceh on sustainable development following the Aceh peace agreement of 2005; and as Senior Policy Coordinator for Oxfam International in Aceh and Nias from 2005-2008. She holds an MA in Anthrolopy from Columbia University, New York.
Terms and Conditions
Please contact the organiser for further Terms and Conditions.
Selangor Bar Committee
No. 41, Jalan Bola Jaring 13/15, Seksyen 13,
40100 Shah Alam,
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel: +603 5519 6219
Fax: +603 55199037