This webinar will explore the basics of admiralty law, featuring:
- The differences between in rem and in personam suits;
- Ship arrest requirements — statutory liens, maritime liens and possessory liens;
- Setting aside arrests and damages for wrongful arrests;
- Appraising and selling vessels;
- The prima facie order of priority in in rem claims; and
- Limitation laws in maritime claims.
CPD Camps Live is specifically geared to benefit Members admitted to the Malaysian Bar from
1 July 2011, and pupils in chambers who commence their pupillage from 1 July 2016.
Clive Navin Selvapandian’s primary area of practice is maritime law.
Clive is a member of the Bar Council Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee and the International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law.
Terms and Conditions
A Step-By-Step Guide to Join the Webinar
(1) For seamless streaming, download the Zoom app
You will be given a webinar ID and a password to join the webinar once your registration has been confirmed.
(2) Log in to Zoom, and provide your username
For Members of the Bar or pupils-in-chambers, use the format below for identification purposes when prompted:
Full name (as per NRIC) | Bar Council membership number or petition number
For non-members, provide your full name only.
(3) Setup your space
Ensure that you have a strong Internet connection. You may use an earpiece for clarity.
(4) Mute your microphone
When the webinar is ongoing, please mute your microphone on Zoom at all times to ensure there is no interruption from your end.
(5) You may raise questions during the Question-and-Answer session only
Please take note that no speaking is allowed when the webinar is taking place.
If you wish to raise a question, please type in the chat box and the speaker will respond accordingly.
(6) Please, do not do this
Screen recording, sharing the webinar ID and password links, reproducing the content of the webinar on any platform are strictly not allowed.
Any unregistered person may be removed without prior notice, and no CPD point will be awarded. Failure to adhere to this may result in disciplinary action by the Bar Council.
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled or postponed by the organiser due to some circumstances.
- No refunds for this course. However substitution is allowed.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).