This seminar focuses on civil appeals against:
- decisions of the subordinate Courts to the High Court; and
- decisions of the High Court to the Court of Appeal.
Emphasis of the seminar is on court craft and advocacy skills, with particular focus on meeting perspectives from the Bench.
Participants will gain valuable insight into the following matters:
- distinctions between full trial/full hearing and appeals, and between trial and appellate advocacy;
- trial and appellate psychology;
- distinctions between trial and appellate submissions, and between oral advocacy and written advocacy;
- preparation of written submissions and executive summaries, the importance of legal citations and checklists;
- art of oral submissions; and
- judicial interruptions.
Vernon Ong Lam Kiat is a former Federal Court judge. He started private practice in 1981. In 1990, he left for Hong Kong to work for the UNHCR. At the same time, he lectured at the University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Polytechnic and pursued his LLM at the University of Hong Kong.
In 1993 he returned to Malaysia and resumed legal practice. He has served in the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Bar Committees. He was a member of several Bar Council committees on law reform, professional development, Bahasa Malaysia, amongst others.
In 2007, Vernon Ong was appointed as a Judicial Commissioner of the High Court in Malaya and sat in the Johor Bahru High Court. He was appointed as a High Court Judge in 2010, eventually becoming the Senior Judge of the Johor High Court. In 2013, Vernon Ong began sitting in the Shah Alam High Court. In 2014, he was elevated to the Court of Appeal and in 2019 to the Federal Court. He retired from the Bench in 2023.
Apart from his judicial duties, Vernon Ong has taken on other leadership roles such as Regional Council Member (Indian Ocean) of the Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges’ Association (“CMJA”) (2012-2015), Managing Judge for subordinate Courts in the State of Selangor (2016-2018), Managing Judge for Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang (2020-2023), Chairman of Court-Annexed Mediation Committee of the Federal Court (2019-2023), Chairman of the Training Committee of the Judicial Academy (2022-2023), Member of the Judicial Academy, and as an adjunct professor of law at Multimedia University.
Terms and Conditions
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled or postponed by the organiser due to some circumstances.
- No refunds for this course. However substitution is allowed.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).