This CPD Live Session carries 1 CPD point. It is free of charge, but advance registration is required.
Upon successful registration, a link to the CPD Live Session will be emailed to registered participants only. Registration will close on 24 Apr 2020 (Friday).
No additional registration will be accepted once the closing date has passed, or if the CPD Live Session is full.
Please note that participants who have registered for the CPD Live Session but fail to attend without valid reason(s) will be blacklisted for the next free session.
The employment sector has been inundated with numerous queries regarding the status of employment during the Movement Control Order and once it is lifted. Employers are facing the brunt of having to safeguard the ongoing production of their businesses, manage the massive drop in revenue while looking into the welfare of their employees. A topical interest, this CPD Live Session will enlighten participants on these issues and their implications regarding termination of employees, especially during these challenging times with the rise of COVID-19.
CPD Live is an initiative by the Bar Council during the Movement Control Order, so that Members and pupils are not deprived of continuous learning during these times.
Come join CPD Live Session at the comfort of your own home!
This CPD Live Session is jointly organised by the Bar Council CPD Department and Malacca Bar Committee.
Selvamalar Alagaratnam commenced her legal practice with a local law firm dedicated to Employment Law. In 2000, she joined Skrine and was admitted as a Partner in 2006. Since her admission to the Malaysian Bar, she has been primarily engaged in employment law work. Selvamalar is ranked in Chambers Asia as a leading individual for Employment & Industrial Relation since 2009. She is also listed as one of the world's leading practitioners by Who's Who Legal (2014-2017) in Management Labour & Employment and was recognised as Who's Who “Legal Thought Leader for Employment” and Industrial Relations in 2017 and 2018 and for Labour & Employment 2019 and 2020.
Terms and Conditions
A Step-By-Step Guide to Join the CPD Live Session
(1) You will be given a link to the CPD Live Session once your registration is confirmed.
(2) For seamless streaming, we strongly recommend you to download the ezTalks mobile app (iPhone or Android), or the desktop app (refer to “ezTalks Meetings for Windows or Mac” here).
Participation via web browser is discouraged due to reported loss of sound and video.
(3) Register at ezTalks Webinar at least an hour before the CPD Live Session. The process may require about five minutes, depending on Internet speed and browser used.
(4) Fill in your registration particulars in the link provided. Upon submission, a confirmation email by the CPD Department will be sent to your registered email. It will contain a webinar ID and a 4-digit invitation code.
(5) To join the CPD Live Session via ezTalks Webinar, enter your webinar ID and 4-digit invitation code. For Members of the Bar or pupils in chambers, use the format below for identification purposes when prompted:
Last name | Bar Council membership number or petition number
For non-Members, provide your full name only.
(6) Log into ezTalks Webinar at least 15 minutes before the CPD Live Session commences. Do not exit and re-enter the waiting room; this is to prevent disruption and minimise heavy Internet traffic.
(7) Do not share the link (including webinar ID and password) to any persons that have not registered for the CPD Live Session.
(8) Ensure speakers are enabled on your electronic devices.
(9) To raise a question, type in the chat box and the speaker will respond accordingly during the Question-and-Answer Session.
(10) No screen recording, sharing, or reproducing the content of the CPD Live Session on any platform is allowed. Failure to adhere may result in disciplinary action by the Bar Council.
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled or postponed by the organiser due to some circumstances.
- No refunds for this course. However substitution is allowed.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).