This CPD Live Session carries 1 CPD point. It is free of charge, but advance registration is required.
Upon successful registration, a link to the CPD Live Session will be emailed to registered participants only. Registration will close on 25 Apr 2020 (Friday).
No additional registration will be accepted once the closing date has passed, or if the CPD Live Session is full.
Please note that participants who have registered for the CPD Live Session but fail to attend without valid reason(s) will be blacklisted for the next free session.
This CPD Live Session will explore the following:
- Principles of personal data protection and updates;
- Managing personal data protection risks during COVID-19 & MCO; and
- Roadmap to compliance
CPD Live is an initiative by the Bar Council during the Movement Control Order, so that Members and pupils are not deprived of continuous learning during these times.
Come join CPD Live Session at the comfort of your own home!
Wong Kian Jun advises and acts on cases related to employment litigation at the Labour Court, Industrial Court, High Court and Court of Appeal. He is also involved in numerous administrative law matters and judicial review proceedings at the High Court and up to the Federal Court. He handles issues relating to dismissals, employee management, terms and conditions of employment, compliance with employment legislation, issues relating to Union recognition and Collective Agreements.
In relation to employee management, he is well-versed in cases involving misconduct, poor performance and redundancy. He is experienced in internal investigation processes which is undertaken pursuant to allegations of misconduct.
Kian Jun is experienced with legal matters involving the Personal Data Protection Act 2010. He has given numerous talks and conducted many training sessions on employment and personal data protection laws both in Malaysia and abroad.
Irene Yong practices in all aspects of Tax and Revenue laws, from advisory, structuring, planning, audits, investigations, dispute resolution (including advising taxpayers on the settlement of tax cases or in dealings with governmental authorities) to litigation (including tax appeals, declaratory proceedings, judicial review applications, civil suits, windings up etc.), sales tax, service tax, goods and services tax (GST), transfer pricing, income tax, real property gains tax, indirect taxes, stamp duty, taxation of oil and gas companies, tax incentives, trusts, and asset protection and planning. She has appeared as counsel for taxpayers before the GST Appeal Tribunal, the Special Commissioners of Income Tax and the Superior Courts of Malaysia.
Irene also practises in the area of Personal Data Protection and Privacy Laws, and provides information and data management strategies and solutions, business practice and process reviews, as well as template and document reviews for business enterprises. She has advised and conducted reviews and audits for various entities including financial institutions. Irene has presented many papers on personal data protection law and regularly conducts training and workshops for clients and event organisers.
Terms and Conditions
A Step-By-Step Guide to Join the CPD Live Session
(1) You will be given a link to the CPD Live Session once your registration is confirmed.
(2) For seamless streaming, we strongly recommend you to download the ezTalks mobile app (iPhone or Android), or the desktop app (refer to “ezTalks Meetings for Windows or Mac” here).
Participation via web browser is discouraged due to reported loss of sound and video.
(3) Register at ezTalks Webinar at least an hour before the CPD Live Session. The process may require about five minutes, depending on Internet speed and browser used.
(4) Fill in your registration particulars in the link provided. Upon submission, a confirmation email by the CPD Department will be sent to your registered email. It will contain a webinar ID and a 4-digit invitation code.
(5) To join the CPD Live Session via ezTalks Webinar, enter your webinar ID and 4-digit invitation code. For Members of the Bar or pupils in chambers, use the format below for identification purposes when prompted:
Last name | Bar Council membership number or petition number
For non-Members, provide your full name only.
(6) Log into ezTalks Webinar at least 15 minutes before the CPD Live Session commences. Do not exit and re-enter the waiting room; this is to prevent disruption and minimise heavy Internet traffic.
(7) Do not share the link (including webinar ID and password) to any persons that have not registered for the CPD Live Session.
(8) Ensure speakers are enabled on your electronic devices.
(9) To raise a question, type in the chat box and the speaker will respond accordingly during the Question-and-Answer Session.
(10) No screen recording, sharing, or reproducing the content of the CPD Live Session on any platform is allowed. Failure to adhere may result in disciplinary action by the Bar Council.
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled or postponed by the organiser due to some circumstances.
- No refunds for this course. However substitution is allowed.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).