This CPD Live Session carries 1 CPD point. It is free of charge, but advance registration is required.
It is free of charge for Members of the Bar, pupils in chambers, and law students, but advance registration is required. The registration fee for non-members is RM60.
Upon successful registration, a link to the CPD Live Session will be emailed to registered participants only. Registration will close at 12:00 pm, 28 Apr 2020 (Tuesday).
No additional registration will be accepted once the closing date has passed, or if the CPD Live Session is full.
The CPD Department may not permit future registration if you fail to attend a CPD Live Session after registering, unless you provide an acceptable and valid reason(s).
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted norms across all industries with Movement Control Order (“MCO”) and post-MCO implications. This CPD Live Session seeks to discuss what and how technological tools are essential for legal practices to adapt to this “new normal”.
CPD Live is an initiative by the Bar Council during the MCO period, so that Members and pupils are not deprived of continuous learning even during these times.
Come join CPD Live Session at the comfort of your own home!
This CPD Live Session is jointly organised between the CPD Department and Bar Council IT, Innovation & Future in Technology Committee.
R Jayabalan was admitted as an advocate and solicitor to the High Court of Malaya on 30.4.199730 Apr 1997. He manages a sole-proprietorship practice based in Johor Bahru. His area of practice is mainly general civil litigation at trial and appellate stage. R. Jayabalan has previously served as Chairman of the Johore Bar and as a Bar Council member. He is currently the Co-Chair of the Innovation and Future in Technology Committee of the Bar Council. This Committee leads initiatives for technological innovation in legal practice, adoption of legal technology, formulating social media guidelines and cloud computing rules. He is also the Chairperson of the Small Firms Practice Committee of the Bar Council.
Leon Gan Han Chen’s main area of practice is in real estate, with experience within land acquisitions, joint ventures, developments, rental or lease agreement and schemes, special development areas, strata management, and other real estate related matters. He also advises major financial institutions on banking and finance matters.
Leon also handles corporate and commercial matters and has advised and represented clients on mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, review and drafting corporate and commercial agreements.
Kuok Yew Chen is a Corporate partner at Christopher & Lee Ong with an interest in regulatory and trade, and Ttechnology, media & telecommunications law. He has practiced in London and Singapore, and continues to advise on cross border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, trade law, fintech, telecommunications projects, and regulatory matters. He advises multinationals, government linked companies, private equity funds, and public and private companies on these areas of law. Yew Chen is listed as a leading lawyer for Mergers and Acquisitions, and IT & Telecoms in the latest AsiaLaw and Legal 500 rankings, respectively.
Terms and Conditions
A Step-By-Step Guide to Join the CPD Live Session
(1) For seamless streaming, we strongly recommend you to download the ezTalks mobile app (iPhone or Android), or the desktop app (refer to “ezTalks Meetings for Windows or Mac” here).
Participation via web browser is discouraged due to reported loss of sound and video.
(2) You will be given a link to the CPD Live Session once your registration is confirmed.
(3) Fill in your registration particulars in the link provided. Upon submission, a confirmation email by the CPD Department will be sent to your registered email. It will contain a webinar ID and a 4-digit invitation code. Register at ezTalks Webinar at least an hour before the CPD Live Session. The process may require about five minutes, depending on Internet speed and browser used.
(4) Obtain the 4-digit invitation code at least an hour before the CPD Live Session. The process may require about five minutes, depending on Internet speed and browser used.
(5) To join the CPD Live Session via ezTalks Webinar, enter your webinar ID and 4-digit invitation code. For Members of the Bar or pupils in chambers, use the format below for identification purposes when prompted:
Full name (as per NRIC) | Bar Council membership number or petition number
For non-Members, provide your full name only.
(6) Log into ezTalks Webinar at least 15 minutes before the CPD Live Session commences. Do not exit and re-enter the waiting room; this is to prevent disruption and minimise heavy Internet traffic.
(7) Do not share the link (including webinar ID and password) to any persons that have not registered for the CPD Live Session.
(8) Ensure speakers are enabled on your electronic devices.
(9) To raise a question, type in the chat box and the speaker will respond accordingly during the Question-and-Answer Session.
(10) No screen recording, sharing, or reproducing the content of the CPD Live Session on any platform is allowed. Failure to adhere may result in disciplinary action by the Bar Council.
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled or postponed by the organiser due to some circumstances.
- No refunds for this course. However substitution is allowed.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).