Have you ever wondered what can you do if you have peers who might be experiencing signs of distress at the workplace? What
can you do to help them when they are feeling mental and emotional discomfort? The Bar Council Continuing Professional
Development Department, in collaboration with Medical Opinion Asia, is offering an interactive session to discuss the following common symptoms from two unique perspectives that will provide a broader understanding of mental health at the workplace.
Clinical Explanation on Mental Health
by Dr Lu-Ann Chong, Psychiatrist
- Clinical Depression is Treatable
- The Role of a Psychiatrist
- Burnout, Exhaustion, Stress
- Physical Manifestation of Chronic Stress, Burnout
Psychology in Workplace and Everyday Life
by Urmilah Das, Psychologist
- Stress from Work, Relationship/Marital Issues, Financial Problems, Politics, Harassment, Fear, Etc
- Personality Problems
- Communication Styles
- Stigma of Seeking Professional Help
- Lack of Experience/Expertise Dealing with the Job
- Medical Problems Interfering with Everyday Life
- Signs and Symptoms
- Getting Professional Help
- Practice Self-Care
Dr Lu-Ann Chong
(MBBS) King’s College London, UK; (MSc) Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, King’s College London, UK; (CCT) St Mary’s Hospital Specialist Training Scheme, Academic Department of Psychiatry, Imperial College London, UK
- General adult psychiatry, with special interest in young onset dementia and dementia; postnatal and antenatal
- Depression, anxiety disorders, panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, work stress, sleep difficulties
- Bipolar affective disorders, schizophrenia, other paranoid states arising from stress or drug use, geriatric psychiatry
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, Fibromyalgia, medically unexplained symptoms despite multiple investigations:
cardiac pain, abdominal pain, pelvic pain, back pain
- Eating disorders
- Co-managing patients with serious health problem(s)
B Sc (Psych), Upper Iowa University, USA; M Clin Psych, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia; Certificate in Management,
University of Nevada Las Vegas (“UNLV”), Nevada, USA
Specialty: Clinical Psychologist
- Psychotherapy for adults, family therapy, couple therapy, child therapy
- Psychometric testing
Terms and Conditions
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Cancellations must be made in writing at least 48 hours prior to the event.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the cancellation is notified to the organiser three business days before the event.
- No refunds will be issued if the cancellation is notified to the organiser less than three business days from the event.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to the Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of the Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of this event, research and audit, maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of this event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).