This talk will cover the following topics:
- An overview of the income tax compliance obligations of partners and sole proprietors in law firms
- Importance of record-keeping: What records should be kept, and for how long?
- Responding to the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (“IRB”)’s enquiries
- Role of a tax agent: Do taxpayers need a tax agent to represent them in an audit or investigation?
- What are the powers of the IRB?
- How far back can the IRB audit you?
- Managing tax audit risks: What should you do?
- Settlements of tax audits and investigations: Documentation and issues to watch out for
- Dispute resolution process with the IRB
- Appealing audit / investigation findings to the Special Commissioners of Income Tax, and the courts
Thang Mee Lee is an Executive Director with Axcelasia Taxand. She holds a Bachelor of Accounting (Hons) degree from the University of
Malaya. She is a Member of the Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Chartered Tax Institute of Malaysia.
She started her career in tax when she joined Arthur Andersen upon graduation in May 1990. Before joining Taxand in 2007, she was a Tax Director with Ernst & Young. She has over 20 years of experience in both compliance and tax advisory work for local corporations, multinationals and individuals, including tax planning, restructuring, inbound and outbound investments, and remuneration planning. Her experience covers a range of industries including the oil and gas, construction, manufacturing, information technology, education, and telecommunication industries.
She heads the Compensation, Equity and Employment Tax service line. She also has significant experience dealing with the Ministry of
Finance in advising on, and structuring of, tax incentives for Malaysia’s new economic zones.
She is a regular speaker at seminars, and has written articles forvarious tax and accounting journals, both domestically and internationally.
Anand Raj, Messrs Shearn Delamore & Co was called to the Malaysian Bar in 1996, and was admitted as a Partner at Messrs Shearn Delamore & Co in 2003. He holds the Chair of the International Fiscal Association, Malaysia Branch and of the Bar Council Malaysia’s Tax Subcommittee, and is one of the authors of Bloomberg BNA’s Business Operations in Malaysia.
He has been consistently recognised as a leading Tax Counsel in Tier 1 of Chambers Asia, Asialaw Profiles, Asia Pacific Legal 500, and the
International Tax Review (“ITR”). He was recognised by and listed in International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers (2013-2017); Asia Tax Litigation and Disputes Practice Leader of the Year 2017 by ITR, and International Who’s Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers 2016 and 2017.
He has led as tax counsel in numerous Malaysian tax cases, including in cases with reported judgments.
Terms and Conditions
Places are limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For events with registration fees, all payments must be made in advance, including bank charges. Registration will be confirmed once proof of payment is provided by email or fax, and full payment is received.
For events that are not organised by Bar Council, please note that you are subject to the relevant terms and conditions specified by the external providers.
Goods and Services Tax ("GST")
Certain supplies of goods and services that we make may be subject to GST, and we are required to levy GST on such taxable goods and services from 1 Apr 2015.
We reserve the right to implement any necessary changes to our policies on goods and services that we may supply or on supplies we may receive from vendors.
Cancellations must be made in writing at least 48 hours prior to the event.
If you have failed to inform the organiser on your cancellation for three consecutive times, you may be blacklisted for future events.
Refunds will be processed after the event is completed. This may take up to 30 business days. The conditions for refunds are as follows:
- Full refunds will be issued if the cancellation is notified to the organiser three business days before the event.
- No refunds will be issued if the cancellation is notified to the organiser less than three business days from the event.
The organiser reserves the right to modify, cancel or postpone the event, should circumstances arise that make such action necessary, whereupon all registration fees paid will be refunded.
You are allowed to transfer your place to another participant, but you must notify the organiser with the necessary details.
CPD points will not be awarded to lawyers and pupils in chambers from Peninsular Malaysia who arrive more than 15 minutes late, are not present throughout the event, or leave before its scheduled end.
The personal information that you provide to Bar Council, whether now or in the future, may be used, recorded, stored, disclosed or otherwise processed by or on behalf of Bar Council for the purposes of facilitation and organisation of the event, research and audit, and maintenance of a participant database for the promotion of the event, and such ancillary services as may be relevant.
- Materials will be emailed only. No printed notes will be provided.
- No recording of the event is permitted via any means at any time.
- No part of the event content may be used/reproduced in any form without the written and explicit consent of the Bar Council and speaker(s).